Science Based Fitness

Body & Mind Balance

Healthy Daily Life

Meditation Practice

Monthly Yoga Challenges

What is Science Based Fitness?

Your free- source of information, news, and deep dive into the latest science in the world or fitness and health. We dive deep into the literature and debunk a lot of fake claims. Also, providing helpful tips and workouts to improve your health and quality of life. 


New in the world of research

Creatine has been proven to be a valuable supplement when it comes to increasing muscle and recovery, but new research may conclude possible cognitive benefits. More research has come out regarding the protective benefits of creatine monohydrate and the brain. Possible protective benefits include protective properties for neurodegenerative disease, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, Huntington’s disease, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s, overall mental health, depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder, 

We’ve known for some time about the benefits of creatine and increasing muscle mass, but….It wasn’t until recently did we learn about the benefits for the brain and heart. 95% of creatine storage is in the muscle and the remaining 5% is stored in the heart and brain. Supplementing with creatine significantly benefits optimal healthy creatine levels. Creatine possesses anti-oxidant, anti-apoptotic, and anti-excitotoxic properties. Clinical research on neurodegenerative illnesses has shown that Creatine supplementation results in less effective outcomes. 



Our Recommendations

Recent publications shown healthy brain creatine levels may improve mitochondrial function and improve oxidative stress, which may be relevant treatments for neurodegenerative diseases , including Alzheimer’s disease (AD), Parkinson’s disease (PD), Huntington’s disease (HD), and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).


Chang H, Leem YH. The potential role of creatine supplementation in neurodegenerative diseases. Phys Act Nutr. 2023 Dec;27(4):48-54. doi: 10.20463/pan.2023.0037. Epub 2023 Dec 31. PMID: 38297476; PMCID: PMC10844727.

Antonio J, Candow DG, Forbes SC, Gualano B, Jagim AR, Kreider RB, Rawson ES, Smith-Ryan AE, VanDusseldorp TA, Willoughby DS, Ziegenfuss TN. Common questions and misconceptions about creatine supplementation: what does the scientific evidence really show? J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2021 Feb 8;18(1):13. doi: 10.1186/s12970-021-00412-w. PMID: 33557850; PMCID: PMC7871530.

Wax B, Kerksick CM, Jagim AR, Mayo JJ, Lyons BC, Kreider RB. Creatine for Exercise and Sports Performance, with Recovery Considerations for Healthy Populations. Nutrients. 2021 Jun 2;13(6):1915. doi: 10.3390/nu13061915. PMID: 34199588; PMCID: PMC8228369.

Wu SH, Chen KL, Hsu C, Chen HC, Chen JY, Yu SY, Shiu YJ. Creatine Supplementation for Muscle Growth: A Scoping Review of Randomized Clinical Trials from 2012 to 2021. Nutrients. 2022 Mar 16;14(6):1255. doi: 10.3390/nu14061255. PMID: 35334912; PMCID: PMC8949037.

Forbes SC, Cordingley DM, Cornish SM, Gualano B, Roschel H, Ostojic SM, Rawson ES, Roy BD, Prokopidis K, Giannos P, Candow DG. Effects of Creatine Supplementation on Brain Function and Health. Nutrients. 2022 Feb 22;14(5):921. doi: 10.3390/nu14050921. PMID: 35267907; PMCID: PMC8912287.

Forbes SC, Candow DG, Neto JHF, Kennedy MD, Forbes JL, Machado M, Bustillo E, Gomez-Lopez J, Zapata A, Antonio J. Creatine supplementation and endurance performance: surges and sprints to win the race. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2023 Dec;20(1):2204071. doi: 10.1080/15502783.2023.2204071. PMID: 37096381; PMCID: PMC10132248.

Stares A, Bains M. The Additive Effects of Creatine Supplementation and Exercise Training in an Aging Population: A Systematic Review of Randomized Controlled Trials. J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2020 Apr/Jun;43(2):99-112. doi: 10.1519/JPT.0000000000000222. PMID: 30762623.

Kreider RB, Kalman DS, Antonio J, Ziegenfuss TN, Wildman R, Collins R, Candow DG, Kleiner SM, Almada AL, Lopez HL. International Society of Sports Nutrition position stand: safety and efficacy of creatine supplementation in exercise, sport, and medicine. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2017 Jun 13;14:18. doi: 10.1186/s12970-017-0173-z. PMID: 28615996; PMCID: PMC5469049.